Held key doesn't auto-repeat in FC5 under VMWare

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue May 16 20:24:08 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, Berg, Ivan Michael (Ivan) <ivanberg at avaya.com> wrote:
> I recently installed FC5 into the latest VMWare Workstation 5.5.1 and
> got vmware tools to work via the vmware-any-any updates.
>
> Everything seems great, except I have one issue. No matter what I do, I
> can't hold down a key and get it to auto-repeat. This quickly becomes
> very annoying, especially when trying to arrow over to a certain
> character, as I have to hit the arrow key repeatedly.
>
> Not sure if this has anything to do with VMWare or if it's FC5. Need to
> distribute the VM for training soon, so would appreciate any
> troubleshooting tips or responses.
>
> Didn't see anything via web searchs of VMWare forums regarding this
> issue.
>
> Thanks, Ivan

That's because we don't have your problem. FWIW: I can get autorepeat
to work in the login in screen of my FC5 client OS; and, this is
happening before vmware-toolbox is invoked.

My questions for you are:

a) What is your host OS?

b) Does autorepeat work in your host OS?

c) Have you checked Edit->Preferences->Input or
VM->Settings-Options->Advanced settings?