Experience with FC5 - what's your take?

Wong Kwok-hon kwokhon at gmail.com
Wed May 17 00:08:15 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Marcelo Magno T. Sales <marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br> wrote:
> Em Sábado 13 Maio 2006 11:40, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu escreveu:
> > Hell Everyone,
> (...)
>
> > I'd call myself a very well experienced Linux user.  I'm confident
> > I could iron out most any problems associated with doing the
> > upgrade. But, I'm still hesitant.  So, can anyone convince me
> > otherwise?  What's been your experience with FC5 so far?  Were you
> > able to wipe everything and just keep /home intact (in the past
> > I've had very wierd things happen when I've done this, so I've had
> > to do selective restores when upgrading)?  Any issues that you just
> > can't get rid of?  Has FC5 been stable?  VMware Workstation running
> > okay (I know about the patches)?
>
> I liked FC5 very much in my desktop workstation (except for a xorg's
> bug which cause unexpected behavior when pressing the win key), but
> had some problems in my notebook. The worst thing is that Intel video
> drivers are broken in xorg 6.9 and 7.0 (FC5 comes with 7.0). I spent
> some weeks using the vesa driver, but then I became tired of not
> being able to watch DVDs and do other things which require some
> graphical speed and then installed FC4 back. Xorg 6.8 drivers work
> flawlessly. When this issue is solved, I will probably install FC5
> again. Maybe it won't take to long for that, because this bug is
> already marked as solved in xorg's bugzilla...
>
> []'s
> Marcelo

I felt Fedora Core 5 need more CPU power to use because I just used
Pentium 3 866 Mhz 512MB RAM. But so far... it is ok...
But It may it not enough CPU power for coming Fedora Core 6? I am consider....
Sometime I felt Redhat 9 is better because it is fast and more stable
than Fedora Core 5.

The above is my opinion...

Wong Kwok Hon