Update from FC4 to FC5 stole my kernel

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed May 17 02:52:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 00:29:02 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> I will do that tomorrow.  That computer is in an office that I can access
> during the day.  I told the owner that I would come back tomorrow and either
> fix it there, or take it with me and fix it here at my office.

It turns out that grub.conf was only partially updated during the upgrade
process.

The new smp kernel was installed in /boot and both the up and SMP FC4 kernels
were gone.  But grub.conf was changed such that it still pointed to the FC4 SMP
kernel.  There was no reference to the FC5 kernel that was actually present and
reference to the FC4 up kernel was removed from grub.conf as well.

Editing grub.conf to point to the new kernel solved the problem.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net