Software RAID Using SATA HDDs

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed May 17 07:07:26 UTC 2006

Manish Kathuria wrote:

> Has anyone implemented Linux based software RAID (mirroring) using SATA
> Hard Disks ? How is the performance as compared to Parallel ATA HDDs ?
> What SATA chipsets are NOT supported by FC3-5 Linux so that they can be
> avoided ?

We did this on CentOS (2.6.9 kernel) and it was not a success.  The SATA
driver did not report the loss of a drive (cable yank) to anything
above, so the software RAID stuff lumbered on without complaint or
realization it was degraded.  In the end we moved to oldstyle Adaptec
'firmware raid" cards.

Apparently there are improvements in this in later kernels, maybe it is
sorted in current Fedora.

-Andy