fedora-list Digest, Vol 27, Issue 211

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu May 18 14:02:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 22:53 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:23 -0400, Aaron Konstam
> <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:26:17 -0500
> > From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
> > Subject: Re: How do I get my disk powered down gracefully on my
> > 	desktop	during  system shutdown
> > To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >
> > On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 17:18 -0500, sklein at cpcug.org wrote:
> > > Under FC5 the shutdown process now gracefully powers down my laptop disk
> > > as the last step during shutdown of the laptop.  However, this is not
> > > happening with my desktop, where the disk does not gracefully power down
> > > during shutdown.  How do I get the desktop disk to gracefully power down
> > > as its last shutdown step?
> > >

> > > Stan Klein
> > I am not sure what you mean. On the desktop exactly what happens when you shutdown?
> > Does it power down? What does gracefully power down mean?
> > >
> > > --
> > --
> > Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
> >

> Gracefully is what the -h option of poweroff appears to do.  It shuts
> down the drive before shutting down all power.  Right now, a shutdown
> kills all power, and I can hear the drive spin down after the power goes
> off.  On my dual-boot laptop, until FC5, I had to reboot into Windows to
> get a graceful shutdown.
>
> Now the question is how to edit the menu to get the dialogue when I do a
> non-graphical (run level 3) boot and bring up X by entering startx,
> versus doing a run level 5 boot directly into X.  It turns out the menus
> you get are different and I need to fix it.
>
> I needed to set up the non-graphical boot because my laptop has an
> Nvidia display and they recommend changing the boot to run level 3.

They may recommend that, but I use the nvidia driver on my laptop and
boot to runlevel 5 with no problems at all.

AFAIK the only time you *must* boot to runlevel 3 when using the nvidia
driver is if you are rolling your own by using their installer.  It
requires that X be shutdown before it will allow the compile/install to
proceed.

Once the new driver is installed to match your kernel you can boot to
runlevel 5 with no problems.