Q re networking, might need guru

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 18 14:28:43 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 07:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> And I did have yumex search for etherape, but it came up empty.  I
>> needed a network analyzer that worked, and now I have nothing but
>> tcpdump and tethereal, neither of which shows me what I need to know.
>
> tethereal?  If you 'yum install ethereal-gnome' you should get
> the GUI ethereal which is pretty nice to use.  Give it an
> expression like you would with tcpdump to limit the capture
> to what you want to see.  Or you can use tcpdump -w and
> an appropriate -s snaplength to capture to a file, then
> analyze it with ethereal, even on a different machine.

Tell that to the packagers. I'd first had 'yum install ethereal', but
that  didn't get me ethereal,it got me tethereal for some unknown
reason.  tethereal looks like tcpdump as near as I can tell. AFAIKS this
whole networking thing is pretty badly fubar, it took me about 10 days
just to make my broadcom radio work.

So where can I find an rpm of etherape that will run on FC5?

--
Cheers, Gene