Q re networking, might need guru

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu May 18 14:34:04 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> Greetings; I'm still have one hell of a time with programs like skype
> or ekiga, where the incoming sound is chopped up and repeated in a
> long long echo that sounds like a stutterer after the 200th cup of
> coffee for the day. And its intermittent, I used skypeOUT this morning
> for about 10 minutes and it worked flawlessly for about 9, then it
> started this stuttering and eventually hung the connection up without
> my assistance. Looking at some traffic with tethereal (no thats not a
> typo, I asked yum to install ethereal and thats what I got) I note
> that it has to 'reassemble' the 'PDU' of the majority of the traffic
> flowing over wlan0. Now, I'm not familiar with a 'PDU', so I have no
> idea if this is related to an MTU miss-match or what. As this may have
> something to do with my skype/ekiga problems, is there anything I can
> adjust to alleviate this possibly erronious condition?
> -- Cheers, Gene

Gene, any chance you can run the same experiment but with a wired
network connection and not a laptop?  My workstation plays music just
fine but my laptop behaves as you described when using either a wireless
LAN connection or a hardwire.  The laptop plays music from either the
hard disk or from a network share (NFS over wireless) without a problem
but any attempt to listen to internet radio on it is pretty hopeless.
The laptop should have more than enough resources (1GB ram, Athlon64
2200+ CPU) but all I see are "congestion" warnings and what little sound
I get is all stuttery.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce