Extremely poor performance crunching random numbers under PIV-FC5

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri May 19 07:19:22 UTC 2006

>    It is surprising that when the program is compiled with the static
>    flag enabled, it runs very fast, doing 10 million calculations in only
>    0.4 seconds. Nevertheless, when it is compiled without the static flag
>    (that is dynamic binary), the performance becomes very poor, consuming
>    40 seconds in doing it.
>
>    This sure looks like an intel CPU problem.

Yes but he says:

''I have tested both compilations under other Linux distributions, like
Debian, and it runs in both case perfect, doing the job in only 0.4
seconds. I have also tested both programs under FC3 and I obtain the
same results than FC5. So I conclude that the problem only happens
when running Fedora! ''

It looks like the problem may belong to either (kernel/glibc?) patches
or configuration options specific to Fedora.

-Andy