Good Bye FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 19 12:52:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 02:27, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 00:19 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> > We contribute by using the software.
>
> Only if you submit bug reports and feature request. Bitching in forums
> is not contributing.

That's not generally true. For many software projects the developers
are interested and active on the related mailing list and pay
attention to user comments.  This just doesn't happen to be one
of them - and perhaps reasonably so since fedora is more a
packaging effort and not focused on a specific program.

On the other hand, at least some of this thread is about
default settings that would best be set in the distribution
packaging and let as an option in the base programming.  That
is, the coders should permit all reasonable options and the
distributions should tune defaults to their user's preferences.

Saying that free software doesn't have to cater to the
user's whims is fine and true enough until you start
thinking of free software as a usable replacement for
the commercial versions.  At that point it has to compete
in every way instead of just being good enough for people
willing to adjust to the way the coder liked to do things.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com