best way to partitioning

yordy ymedians at yahoo.es
Mon May 22 04:39:45 UTC 2006

Hi

Last week I upgrade my system from FC4 to FC5
reinstalling FC5 from start, in the same partitions
that prior I have FC4, but after install, when reboot
grub don't run and I can never boot FC5, I try to
reinstall grub, but neither option that I try work,
finally I run a command to clear mbr but the result is
that I lose my partirion table.

I run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 - to
clear mbr

ather that I run grub-install and it say invalid
partition table

I'm a lucky man and don't lose any data... now I want
to install FC5 again.

FC5 partitions can be in any place of a hardisk, or
not?

this is my partition table:

/dev/hda - my hd

/dev/hda1 - 15 GB primary partition for windows
/dev/hda2 - 100 MB primary for /boot

whit the rest I create a logical disk, and
/dev/hda5 - 10 GB NTFS
/dev/hda6 - x GB for /home
/dev/hda7 - x GB for /var
/dev/hda8 - x GB for /
/dev/hda9 - x MB for swap

this is the partition table that I have with FC4 and
WinXP, prior to upgrade to FC5.

Geetings