Securing SSH

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed May 24 15:54:57 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, May 23rd 2006 at 10:37 -0700, quoth Brian D. McGrew:

=>Good morning,
=>
=>I'm looking to tighten up my ssh configuration.  I have to have SSH open
=>on the box at home so I can get to it from the office.  I've found
=>several articles on securing ssh that include deny root access and
=>require 'wheel' group membership for su.
=>
=>Is changing the port to something non-standard a good idea?  What else
=>can I do; can someone point me to a good write up on it?
=>
=>Thanks,
=>
=>:b!
=>
=>Brian D. McGrew { brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com }

Brian, I have the same situation as you. I have a box running at home with
a *very* limited number of people who need to access it. Instead of
cluttering up my syslog with 3digits worth of scriptkiddies hitting my
port 22, I just changed the port nr to something else. (Pick a number
between 1 and 0xFFFFFFFF) Problem solved. It's not a "security thrrough
obscurity" solution. ssh is already as tight as I need AFAICT. All we're
talking about is dealing with the loony robots.

steveo at syslang.net