new to fedora core 5 software tips needed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 26 20:13:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 14:32 -0500, Troy Bull wrote:
> I am new to FC5 and I have a couple of questions about what software you
> would recommend.  I am looking for a good terminal emulation program, I
> use SecureCRT on windows and it stores profiles for each site I
> frequently go to  it is very nice.  It also stores password (which is
> handy), it has a tabbed interface and many different emulations are
> supported.  What do you guys suggest that I use.  I had been pointed at
> kshell but I can't find it so if you could give me a name and a website
> for your suggestions that would be great.

This depends on what you are trying to do.  These days most things
understand xterm emulation so you don't need others unless you are
connecting to something very old.  Generally you just open a local
terminal window (gnome-terminal is under
Applications/Accessories/Terminal but xterm or kconsole work as well),
then ssh to another machine.  If you have a normal login at the
remote end, you can set up ssh keys so you don't need a password.
However, if you would prefer to run a GUI program at the remote
machine you can just use ssh to start it directly with the window
opening locally instead of using a text mode terminal at all.

> Secondly on windows I use desktop post it notes can you suggest anything
> that would be similar.  I found "goats" but I couldn't get it to
> compile.  So again, a name and website would be greatly appreciated.

Right-mouse on your top gnome panel, click add-to-panel, then pick
tomboy-notes from the menu.  But if you want something more like
a to-do list, look at the tasks and memos sections of Evolution.

> I am also interested in a clipboard extender, something that will keep
> track of my previous things sent to the clipboard, on windows I used to
> use clipmate.

Not sure about this - I usually just leave the source window open for
as long as I might want anything on it.  Or, if it is a shell command
I've typed I recall it from shell history.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com