High Speed Internet & FC5

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin06 at comcast.net
Mon May 29 14:12:47 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 09:38 -0400, anthony baldwin wrote:
>

>>Then, run adsl-setup at terminal and follow the prompts.  Rather easy.
>>It will ask you for your username and password and the DNS servers,
>>which network device (probably eth0 or eth1).
>>Then, to connect you will run ifup ppp0, to disconnect ifdown ppp0
>>to check status ifstatus ppp0.
>>

>That would be for a simple ADSL modem without a built-in router, right?
>
>I didn't have to do anything like that for my ADSL (which is through a
>modem/router).  I just set the router IP address as my default gateway,
>and that was it (I run my own DNS servers).  If my ethernet card was
>configured by a DHCP server, I wouldn't have even had to set the
>gateway, the router would have done that all for me.

Actually, yes, this is what I did with the ethernet dsl modem that Yahoo
sent me, no router.
If he has a router, the router, once configured, will do everything, of
course.
Right now I am using comcast cable, and a router (because I married a
windows user
and we´re sharing the connection...hey, aside from using windows, she´s
perfect),
and, of course, once the router was configured,
my box just automagically finds the connection.

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233