many programs: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font

szbeam szbeam at comcast.net
Tue May 30 17:14:42 UTC 2006

I did mess around installing some fonts last week but don't think it is
related... I just added some .ttf files to /usr/share/fonts/ttf/

But today I notice that all X apps seem to be unable to find any fonts.
What is missing? Please help! thanks

=====

$ xterm
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
xterm:  unable to locate a suitable font

$ xconsole
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Segmentation fault

$ xfontsel
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Error: Aborting: no font found

$ rpm -qa | grep xorg | grep -v drv-
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-7.0-3
xorg-x11-xauth-1.0.1-1.2