FC5 - audio not working, what to try?

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 23:37:00 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, B Wooster <bwooster47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On upgrading to FC5, audio is not working.
>
> xine/mplayer provide no sound.
>
> Surprisingly - I also have Leadtex WinFast TV Capture card in my
> system, and using "tvtime", I can watch TV - and the audio on that
> works!

Thanks for the tips!

Running the text-based "alsamixer" showed up a "Master" column (in
addition to "Master Mono"), which was shown as muted! Toggling this
fixed my audio problem for xine/aplay/etc.
I had used kmix (KDE) before and it has a "Master Mono" switch, and
nothing corresponding to what alsamixer shows.
Also tried gnome-volume-control, it too has far fewer controls than
the text-based alsamixer.

So, if anyone else is having basic audio problems, try running alsamixer!