smart package mgr question?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 23:23:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 12:35 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 03:25:30PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > >True, but ... the classical situation when apt/smart try to downgrade is
> > >resolving broken package deps inside of an installed system.
> > >apt and smart diagnose them and try to resolve them (by downgrading),
> > >yum doesn't diagnose these problems and lets users believe "everything
> > >is OK", while it actually isn't.
> > >
> > >I.e. the fact yum doesn't complain, doesn't mean it is right.
> > >

> > I have run into problems where apt tries to fix the repository issues
> > and fails and doesnt let me perform other operations like updating a
> > package which is completely unrelated to repo breakages.
>
> That's true, apt always checks the global health of your system and
> bails out if it detects something broken to alert the user. That is a
> debatable policy (there is no technical reason to do so) mostly
> because it doesn't allow you to use apt anymore to fix the breakage.

I yum installed smart and now when I try to invoke it I get this..
[root at iam ~]# smart --gui
error: Interface 'gtk' not available

[root at iam ~]#

Seems a dependency wasn't considered and I have everything gtk installed
known to yum... via yum install gtk*  ..about 40 megs worth and I still
get this error. Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256