need FSCK help!

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Oct 2 17:35:03 UTC 2006

On Mon October 2 2006 12:59 pm, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> you can run fsck on a read-only partition, it doesn't have to
> be unmounted.  Reboot into single user mode, and remount each
> partition on /dev/sda readonly:
> mount -o remount,ro $mountpoint
>
> and then you can fsck them.  Good luck, hope you have backups.

Re: backups, no, I don't have of / and /boot - only /home

I just did a little more investigating - I opened Kdiskfree and it
only showed sda3; sda1 is a small /boot partition and sda2 is
swap; I guess Kdiskfree probably wouldn't show swap but,
presumably, it's not showing sda1 because it's "Offlne" which I'm
guessing means not mounted. Does that make sense? I have been
noting a couple of anomalous messages during boot up recently, so
maybe this would explain it.

Anyhow, presuming my guessing above is correct, if I boot into
single user mode and run FSCK on sda1, which is ext2, is there
any reason that shouldn't work? How well does fsck actually do
with bad sectors - does it attempt to read the data off of them
and put it somewhere else? Any experience on the efficacy of fsck
would be appreciated - I just rebuilt this machine from the bare
drive up due to a stupid mistake last weekend - I'm sort of
floored this is all happenning.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA