No Sectors left of 120GB Drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Oct 2 23:02:15 UTC 2006

jdow wrote:
> From: "Tony Nelson" <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>

>>> but wouldn't that LVM correspond to just a primary partition?  thus
>>> not violating the general rule of only one extended partition?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> In an abstract sense I'd love to know what limits a disk to only one
> extended partition other than legacy and sloppy code. I've had two
> extended partitions on other systems before. I think I did that with
> the 2.0.x kernel tree at one time, too. All that's needed is simply
> traversing the partition tables sensibly.
>
> {^_^}

If I remember correctly, it is a limit in the DOS partition table
specifications. In practice, I believe you can have both a DOS and a
Linux extended partition. If I remember correctly, DOS/Windows will
ignore a Linux extended partition, but Linux will see both. It has
been a long time sense I played with this, so my memory could be
wrong, or things may have changed to follow the specifications better.

Now, for the original problem. I wonder if parted can expand the
logical partition to use all the free space. This would give you
room for more logical partitions. I have not tried this, so I do not
know if it will work. It might be worth playing with on a drive that
you can afford to trash...

Mikkel