Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 3 05:14:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 22:32 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> In my experience, there are some sorts of sounds that MP3 doesn't
> handle well

And in mine, there's *many* sounds it doesn't handle well, particularly
some encoders (well, all of the ones that I tried).  For instance, the
ride and crash cymbals in 16-beat rock rhythms typical of many Beatles
songs, they go mush mush mush, sounding rather like a radio going out of
tune, instead of producing the proper sound.  I can also notice other
strange little squeaks and abnormal noises being added to music.

I'd tried encoding at some very high rates, and it hasn't helped.  Many
MP3s encoded by other people had similar effects, even if not as
pronounced as the ones I'd tried encoding (some of which were from
excellent sounding uncompressed digital originals).

To my mind, MP3s are about as bad as compact audio cassettes.

I read messages from the public lists.