VNC problem - now more understood - but a solution?

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 16:45:17 UTC 2006

"David G. Miller" wrote:

>Not to be funny and definitely not to start any kind of a gnome vs. KDE
>flame war but I don't see VNC behaving like this with gnome.  This
>includes even having the "screensaver" kick-in after the set inactivity
>period on the VNC desktop.  I think both systems were running CentOS 4
>(gnome, x.org) at the time.  Just pointing out that this behavior *may*
>be peculiar to VNC interacting with KDE.

This behaviour does not kick in when the screensaver starts up but
only when the screensaver goes off the screen when the power save
kicks in later -(in my systems).

I would be interested to know if you still get normal behaviour if you
wait until the screen is in powersave (not just with the screensaver
running visibly) with the operating system different from Fedora and
with gnome - this would certainly point at kde/vnc interaction of some
kind.

Hopefully more information can be obtained and a solution found.

--

mike cohler