where is Network Configuration Wizard?

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at lucent.com
Tue Oct 3 22:22:59 UTC 2006

> Nope, that's not it unless their is another part of it that comes up
> almost half screen with a little wizard guy with a magic wand that
> opines as to how he's gonna help stupid and drooling you to set up a
> network, PPPoE, Serial or Blue Tooth internet configuration.
> Maybe if I
> just delete eth0 it'll show up? I've tried every other darn thing, and
> my $%$^@#^ static connection to my DSL modem set to
> passthrough mode has
> died. So, I'm using DHCP like a whipped runt puppy.
>
> Question in my head here... do I need to set up a route from
> my machine
> to the dsl modem which has the address 192.168.1.254 ???
> I have the static IP set on this #%^#&! machine along with the DNS
> server to #$%^&* BellSouth, the $^(%#@$%^& gateway which is
> on the other
> end of the DSL modem that I have to get to. So, I think I
> need a static
> route to the #%*#%$ modem. I used to have to do that with
> serial $&$*$^
> modems as well. Something has to give here, and I believe it
> must be my
> understanding, which could certainly bear !@#$%^&* broadening.
>
> It's also been suggested to put the DSL modem into bridge mode. I
> literally have no clue about that, but I see that the #%&*% DSL modem
> can be set to that #$&*$#&!! mode. If anyone has a clue and
> need the IP
> #$%^# I will be more than #%^#^ happy to post it all &$#!$&^* here.

There are a bunch of people more expert than me about this on this list,
but here are a few of my observations.

First, whether you run the DSL modem in in Bridging mode or some other
mode (like PPPoE) is specified by your DSL provider.

You mentioned your DSL modem has address 192.168.1.254.  This must be it's
LAN address since this is not a routable internet address.  Therefore, it
must be doing Network Address Translation for you.  Thus the gateway the
DSL modem uses on the other side of the NAT is not all that interesting to you.

You will need a default route that says send the packets to 192.168.1.254.
Now if the DSL Modem is running a little DHCP server on the LAN side, you can
use DHCP to pick up an IP address in the 192.168.1 range.  If you do this, it
is likely you will also pick up the addresses of the DSN servers your ISP wants
you to use.  If this is not working, assigning an IP address on the 192.168.1
subnet (192.168.1.3 for example) may also work.

You should now be able to ping yourself, ping the DSN modem, and ping some
address like 68.1.17.9 (cox.net).  If you can do this, you have network
connectivity.  If you can do an nslookup, you have access to DNS servers.
If not, you will need to configure them by hand.  Your ISP's home page should
tell you what they are buried somewhere in the technical support section.
Of course, how do you find your isp's home page without a DNS server?
Try putting 72.41.223.250 in your /etc/resolve.conf (or use system-config-network)
as a starting point.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bob Styma