moving the whole bunch to a new disk (solved)

Joao Batista Gomes de Freitas boaojatista at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 01:20:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 19:08 -0300, Joao Batista Gomes de Freitas wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> It has been so long since the last time I wrote something in this list.
> Well, at least it means that I have been able to keep going by myself.
> But, now I am stuck in a situation I would appreciate very much a little
> help.  I want to transfer my fc5 installation from one IDE to a SATA
> drive. I have googled about grub and moving stuff cross drives but I
> still haven't found a easy way to do it.
> All file systems are ext3 and I have / and /boot partitions :
> source:
> /dev/hda1 12G / (label /1)
> /dev/hda3 100M /boot (label /boot)
> target:
> /dev/sdc1 20G / (label /barra)
> /dev/sdc2 150M /boot (label /barraboo)
>
> I have copied all files using "rsync -av source dest" and installed grub
> by typing
> "install (hd3,1)/grub/stage1 d (hd3) (hd3,1)/grub/stage2
> (hd3,1)/grub/menu.lst"
> inside the grub shell. The device.map for grub is:
> # this device map was generated by anaconda
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd0)   /dev/hda
> (hd1)   /dev/sda
> (hd2)   /dev/sdb
> (hd3)   /dev/sdc
> (hd4)   /dev/sdd
>
> I have edited fstab (only in the target) accordingly and tried to reboot
> from sdc. I only got the word GRUB. When I boot from hda, I got a "file
> not found" error. Here follows the grub.conf entries :
>

> title Fedora test(sem quiet)
>         root (hd3,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/barra rhgb
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.img
> title Fedora Core (sem quiet)
>         root (hd0,2)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.img
>
> If anybody knows how to get through this, please help.
> Thanks.

I don't know if there is anybody interested in this issue (I have no
replies) but anyway I think it is worth to explain how I fixed.

The trick is that you need to generate a new initrd by "chrooting" to
the new installation's root. After that I have tried many combinations
of root (hdx,1) until I succeed.