FC5 and SCSI

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Oct 8 17:03:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 16:28 +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> Added scsi to grub kernel line, and its not hanging now. Doing a
> reinstall did not solve the problem, probably needed to do a "linux
> scsi" or something at install startup ???
>
> I did not have to do a "scsi" on the startup command line on our SCSI
> RAID servers they were fine installing Fedora. Maybe because they boot
> on SCSI ???
>
> Anyone set me straight on this area ?
If the scsi module was not previously loaded then the initrd did not
know how to configure the new adapters.   Using scsi on the kernel line
told it to load the scsi modules.

The servers that had scsi installed when the OS was installed already
'knew' about the modules needed.  A server that did not already have
scsi installed would not automatically load the module so you had to
tell the kernel scsi was needed.

To fix that you need to make sure the scsi module is loaded either from
the kernel line or from a line in modprobe.conf for now. A kernel update
done after the scsi module is active should put it into the initrd image
and should automatically handle that afterward.