Unable to use floppy dirve

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 11 12:26:25 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 04:01, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Try the following
> > [olivares at localhost ~]$ gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0
> >
> > if that does not work, mount it as root
> > [root at localhost ~]# mkdir -p /media/floppy
> > [root at localhost ~]# mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
> > if the above gives you error messgage then specify filesystem type msdos,
> > vfat,etc [root at localhost ~]# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Antonio
>
> Hello Antonio,
>
>      Thanks for the help.  I was able to mount the drive.  How do I
> permanently write these commands to a file so that the drive would
> automatically mount when I insert a floppy and to which file(s) would I
> write these commands to?
>
> Jeff

It's not going to automount the floppy, but you can create an entry
in /etc/fstab for it.
/dev/fd0         /media/floppy          auto       noauto,owner       0  0

I use KDE, and it will show up in Kdiskfree, where you can mount it, and then
open it in a file manager.  You will have to manually unmount it in
Kdiskfree, but it saves a bit of typing on the CLI each time.

You can also create a desktop icon for the floppy, but again will have to
right click on the floppy icon, and unmount it manually.

Nigel.

btw. This is presuming you have made the directory for the floppy in /media.