[Fedora] Re: Outside access

kalinix calin.kalinix.cosma at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 20:40:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 13:48 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > You can use cygwin/ssh.  We do that all the time.
>     While I agree with this, there's a very (VERY) high probability that
> the outside person would need something graphical on their end.  And (at
> the moment) not knowing what platform they're on - I'm waiting for an
> e-mail reply - I can't even begin to offer solutions.  But I figured if
> i can at least get the ball rolling here, it might give me some ideas of
> how best to approach this problem.
>
>     Preferred would be some drag-n-drop interface on their machine.
> Whether they're on Windows or Mac, they would need to have access to a
> specific folder on our (Windows) file server (which in and by itself is
> another headache since the file server does not employ any kind of user
> login, it's just set up for guest access and any John, Jane, and Jekyll
> in the building can access it and everything on it.)
>
>     Another possibility I thought of was to have an specific (user)
> folder on one of our internet servers (FC5) and have them ftp into
> that.  Then through samba, have that folder also available on our
> internal network.  This protects against outside access all the way into
> our network, but does require me to do a bit more legwork.
>
> --
> W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
>   +--------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   IT Director / SysAdmin / Websmith             .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.            .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

You may mount Win shares on your *nix server and give access to the
specific folder either by sftp (and the remote user could then connect
through WinSCP) or by ftp (and then the remote user can connect using
any graphical ftp client).

If the remote user is on *nix and still need graphical interface, you
may want to try krusader (dual pane, very much like Total Commander): he
knows ftp, fish (ssh/sftp), samba, nfs a.s.o.

Pay attention to your firewall rules though...

HTH

Calin