Boot fails after change of motherboard (using LVM)

Volker Englisch Volker at englisch.us
Fri Oct 13 19:38:59 UTC 2006

on 10/13/2006 1:43 PM Paul Howarth said the following:
> On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 09:21 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:
>> On 10/13/2006 04:01 AM Paul Howarth wrote:
>>> Once you've found the sata modules in use, edit the /etc/modprobe.conf
>>> of the installed system to ensure that it has a scsi_hostadapter line
>>> for each sata module. For instance, I have:
>>>
>>> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sil24
>>> alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_nv
>> I have two identical SATA disks.  Would I need to enter
>>    alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
>>
>> to the modprobe.conf or
>>    alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
>>    alias scsi_hostadapter1_sata_via
>
> You only need the one. If it's already there then this is not the
> problem you're having.

Sorry, but I want to make sure I understand correctly.
Are you saying if I already see the sata_via module with the lsmod
command I do not need the entry in the /etc/modprobe.conf?
Or did you mean I only need one single line
    alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
in /etc/modprobe.conf because I have two identical HDs?
I have currently nothing in the modprobe.conf file regarding the SATA
drives.

Volker