Boot fails after change of motherboard (using LVM)

Volker Englisch Volker at englisch.us
Sat Oct 14 04:33:11 UTC 2006

On 10/13/2006 04:19 PM Rick Stevens wrote:
> Also, when you do the mkinitrd, make sure you use
>
> 	mkinitrd -f -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r) $(uname -r)
>
> Watch the output and make sure the "sata_via" module gets loaded into
> the initrd.

I've followed your suggestions, modified the /etc/modprobe.conf file and
recreated the initrd with the above command and restarted my system with
partial success.
My system does now find and activate my volume group.  Yeah!!

However, another error message which I've seen before but didn't list in
my original mail since I thought it was a follow-up message from not
finding the volume group is still present:
    mount: error 6 mounting ext3
    ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
    error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
    error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
    error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
    error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 3
    switchroot: mount failed: 22

I am guessing the system is trying to mount the root tree which is part
of the volume group but why would that fail after it found the volume?

Thanks again for your help!

Volker