Firefox - How to play wmv files?

roland roland at cat.be
Sat Oct 14 17:23:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:37:27 +0200, Claude Jones
<claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:

> On Sat October 14 2006 7:22 am, roland brouwers wrote:
>> Livna will work.
>> But why don't you install opera, which is a browser and takes
>> care of your   email. www.opera.com
>
> The subject is how to play wmv files from links in the browser -
> not browsing and e-mail. Have you figured out how to get Opera to
> play wmv files? I would like to know because I couldn't figure it
> out even with a lot of poking about the Opera forums.

I downloaded opera from the site of opera, installed it and played .wmv
files.
I only can play this from the linux console not within VNC.
Strange thing is that opera opens the .wmv file if you click on it on the
web page but not if you open the file in $HOME/.opera/temporary_download
If you click right on it and choose mplayer it will open it.

Now, why does he or she does it on my installation and not in yours?
I installed serveral plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla which are apparently used
by opera.
In Tools->Advanced->Plugins I find the following plugins:

Shockwave Flashapplication/futuresplash	spl
application/x-shockwave-flash	swf
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

NS4PluginProxyapplication/x-opera-nsplugin	-
/usr/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In
Compatibleaudio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin	rpm
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so

Adobe Reader 7.0application/pdf	pdf
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml	xdp
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml	xfd
application/vnd.fdf	fdf
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf	xfdf
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so

Could you check this and if it still does not work I can look further or
back in my history how I installed the plugins

Roland