Firefox - How to play wmv files?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Oct 14 18:09:01 UTC 2006

On Sat October 14 2006 1:23 pm, roland wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:37:27 +0200, Claude Jones
>
> <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > On Sat October 14 2006 7:22 am, roland brouwers wrote:
> >> Livna will work.
> >> But why don't you install opera, which is a browser and
> >> takes care of your   email. www.opera.com
> >
> > The subject is how to play wmv files from links in the
> > browser - not browsing and e-mail. Have you figured out how
> > to get Opera to play wmv files? I would like to know because
> > I couldn't figure it out even with a lot of poking about the
> > Opera forums.
>
> I downloaded opera from the site of opera, installed it and
> played .wmv files.
> I only can play this from the linux console not within VNC.
> Strange thing is that opera opens the .wmv file if you click
> on it on the web page but not if you open the file in
> $HOME/.opera/temporary_download If you click right on it and
> choose mplayer it will open it.
>
> Now, why does he or she does it on my installation and not in
> yours? I installed serveral plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla which
> are apparently used by opera.
> In Tools->Advanced->Plugins I find the following plugins:
>
> Shockwave Flashapplication/futuresplash	spl
> application/x-shockwave-flash	swf
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> NS4PluginProxyapplication/x-opera-nsplugin	-
> /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
>
> Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In
> Compatibleaudio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin	rpm
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so
>
> Adobe Reader 7.0application/pdf	pdf
> application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml	xdp
> application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml	xfd
> application/vnd.fdf	fdf
> application/vnd.adobe.xfdf	xfdf
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
>
> Could you check this and if it still does not work I can look
> further or back in my history how I installed the plugins

Thanks for that. I will have to wait till this evening (about 8
hours from now, my time), as the machine is at my home, and I'm
not. But, I appreciate your offer to help me figure this out - I
personally prefer Opera to Firefox, probably for different
reasons than you (I actually don't much care for the Opera email
client any more now that I've mastered the advanced feature-set
of K-mail) - I've generally found over the years that Opera
handled a few more problem sites than Firefox, for one, and in
general, I prefer the GUI and general 'look' of Opera over
Firefox.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA