fedora 6 install breaks at network configuration

philn philn at telus.net
Mon Oct 16 01:32:21 UTC 2006

Hi all

I'm a Red Hat (Fedora) noob after years of fighting with Debian. After
recently spending a couple of days trying to get the latest Debian
(Etch) to install I discover that it will not drive my dual head setup
(which windoze does without trouble). So I thought I'd give Fedora a
try. Now I can't even get through an install - either a 6 DVD or a 5
network install. Whatever I do when trying to install 6, as soon as I
press the OK after trying to configure the network I get an immediate
failure with an option to save or reboot.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong: I turn off dhcp and enable ipv4. Then I
enter my box's ip address in the first section of the ipv4 line -
192.168.0.10 - and, after looking all over the internet to find out what
the 'prefix' was, I enter 24. Press OK and crash. Try just leaving dhcp
on thinking maybe it'll just ignore it and I can change it later, press
OK and nothing.

With the 5 net install it gets to the dialog "Install Starting This may
take several minutes" and just sits there doing nothing (I waited over a
half an hour for that one). Then of course it messed up my mbr and I had
to fix it before I could boot back into my dual head windoze setup to
type this.

If this has been covered before I would appreciate a link or something
as I can't find anything similar on google.

Thanks

phil n