kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 boot hang

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed Oct 18 16:36:56 UTC 2006

   Is anyone else seeing the following? We have a
machine running FC5 with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4400+ installed on an Asus A8N-SLI
Premium motherboard. This machine has had no problems
with the previous kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 release
but the new kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 release hangs
at boot time. With the quiet removed from the grub.conf
line, we still only see...

Decompressing Linux .... done.
Booting the kernel.

Strangely we have a second machine with the same
motherboard and processor which boots the new kernel
fine.
      Jack