X wont boot to runlevel 5 with kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Laurence Vanek lvanek at charter.net
Thu Oct 19 04:19:43 UTC 2006

This probably belongs with the other post by Claude Jones but I wasnt
active when I read it.

I have the identical problem but with nvidia card.
"system-config-display --reconfig" doesnt solve the problem for me.
Booting to previous kernel also does not help for some odd reason.  I am
beginning to suspect the livna kmod release with this kernel although I
cant prove it.

Only way I can get into X is to boot to runlevel 3 then issue "startx"
from there.  All then appears normal.  System is using the nvidia driver.

Examining logs is frustrating, nothing readily apparent.

Hope springs eternal, FC6 is just around the corner, perhaps wont see
this in FC6 (although I understand its the same kernel).