Disable internal PC speaker?

Stephen Croll scroll at airmail.net
Fri Oct 20 05:34:16 UTC 2006

Apparently a recent FC5 update has enabled my internal PC speaker.
The resultant beeping from shell tab completion and such is driving me
nuts.  Searching for a solution, I found a post on fedora-devel-list
suggesting to blacklist the module.  For reference, an excerpt from
this post follows.

   On Friday 28 July 2006 13:34, Steve G wrote:
   > And also the annoying pc speaker beep that showed up in the last
week or
   > two.

   Blacklist the module.

   echo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprob.d/blacklist

   --
   Jesse Keating
   Release Engineer: Fedora

I tried the blacklist approach, but the module still gets loaded and
the beeping continues, at least until I manually remove it with "rmmod
pcspkr".

Some config info:

 [root at chipmunk ~]# uname -a
 Linux chipmunk.rodent.net 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp #1 SMP Sat Oct 14
17:15:35 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

 [root at chipmunk ~]# tail /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
 blacklist tdfxfb
 blacklist virgefb
 blacklist vga16fb

 # ISDN - see bugs 154799, 159068
 blacklist hisax
 blacklist hisax_fcpcipnp

 # disable annoying pc speaker beeping
 blacklist pcspkr

Any ideas on how to disable the speaker by preventing the module
from being loaded in the first place?

--
Steve Croll