How to re-install a Fedora kernel

Mel mel at laamail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:36:18 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette wrote:

 > Next, run the below:
 > rpm -e kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6

Thanks Jim.

What I didn't understand was typing the entire version info. I could get
the list with rpm but only knew about rpm -e kernel.

 > If it still fails, you can remove it once again. Search for an open
report or file a new report in bugzilla referencing what is on the
screen when the kernel fails to boot.

This will not be necessary.

I have now determined that I had some power transients. I am in Hong
Kong - a part called the New Territories. The heavily settled urban
areas have underground supplies - here we have overhead lines. In bad
weather we have a lot of transients especially during thunder storms.
Yesterday the weather was fine and I did not see it happen but I later
found another system hung. The power company confirmed the transient
problem. So I think this system went up and down and in-between several
times very quickly. Fedora's attempt at recovering got corrupted.

Mel