OT: labelling CD/DVD disks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 23 01:07:53 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 14:26, Anne Wilson wrote:
>For years I have applied paper labels to CDs, using an aligning tool, and
>never had a problem.  Around the time I got my first DVD burner I read
> that, because DVDs have a denser ring population, they are less
> tolerant, and one should not apply labels, but use only a pen.
>
>ISTR that a couple of months ago someone on this list remarked that this
> is nonsense.  Does anyone care to share their experiences with me?
> Thanks

We have heard, from several sources, that the glue the labels use will
degrade the coatings on the cd/dvd, leading to short life.  I've heard
figures of under 6 months a few times.

But this is all heresy as I've never used anything but a fine tipped felt
pen with washable inks in it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)