OT: labelling CD/DVD disks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 23 04:28:09 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 23:27, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> At some point in time it was reported that the inks commonly used in
>>> marking pens contained solvents that could degrade the disk material
>>> over time, which led the Sharpie people to market a special CD/DVD
>>> marker for the purpose. Yeah, I bought one.
>>
>> Humm, never have seen one of those, but OTOH, never looked specifically
>> for one either.  BTW, how did it work, and did it last a decent time
>> period?
>
>I got them at Office Depot (or similar) last spring, so it's way too
>early to tell. One thing that I learned is that the pen will become
>clogged if it is used to write on paper, so I always mark the paper disk
>cover with some other type of pen _before_ I insert the disk.

Humm, that would no doubt be a side effect of the clay coating on the
paper, probably because that inks solvent is also the clay coats binder
solvent.  I once made the mistake of buying a ream of 5 dollar paper &
feeding it through my old Stylus Pro.  Half a ream later I had it all over
the table cleaning white clay from its elastomeric rollers so it would
feed good paper again.  A classic case of getting what I paid for, and I
paid for a headache...

Closest we have here is a Staples, I'll take a look the next time I'm in
town, probably tuesday evening.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)