Tips for migrating to Fedora w/ LVM & Software RAID

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Mon Oct 23 13:33:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

I currently have a Gentoo server with the following disk layout:

I have 3 identical hardisks doing software RAID.

/boot is on md0, which is RAID1 spread across sda1, sdb1, and sdc1
swap is on md1, which is RAID5 spread across sda2, sdb2, and sdc2
/ is on md2, which is RAID5 spread across sda3, sdb3, and sdc3
LVM vg0 is on md3, which is RAID5 spread across sda4, sdb4, and sdc4

vg0 has volumes for /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp, and /home

I have installed grub on the MBRs of all 3 disks, so if 1 fails I should
be able to boot off of one of the remaining drives.

I would like to migrate this setup to Fedora FC5.  Is there a HOWTO
somewhere that would cover this?  Will I be able to just boot off the
install CD and reformat /boot and / and point to the LVM volumes and have
things work?  Any gotchas I need to look out for?

Thanks
Mike