FYI: Workaround for today's FC5 baseurl/mirrorlist problems

Joshua Andrews josh at wavefood.com
Wed Oct 25 15:06:14 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Joshua Andrews wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:

>>> Yeah, I thought the same thing as Joshua 'till I  realized yum wouldn't
>>> work to get at it! The devil is in the details! <impishly smiles> Ric
>>>

>> The point is; was this a symptom of some catastrophic system failure
>> or an executive decision?  If the latter, as I suspect, then one
>> person writing a few lines could have saved many thousands of people
>> a whole lot of needless bullshit!
>
> I believe it was a combination of a heavy load on the servers due to
> the FC6 release, plus what appears to be an DOS attack aimed at Red Hat.
>
> The system used for FC6 is very similar to what has worked very well
> for CentOS. Hopefully it will be working as intended soon and nobody
> will have to bother with this "bullshit" at all.
>
> Paul.

Thank you for this explanation.
Perhaps I was letting my frustration vent without first seriously
looking into the matter.
Anyway, since the mail servers seem not to have been effected it might
be reasonable to hope that future mishaps such as this will be posted to
the announce-list or even fedora-list in a (no offense Jeff) official
vein? I mean when Jeff (nine out of ten voices in my head agree) Spatela
is the only one who has addressed this issue for public consumption...
Oh well, I give up.
Thanks to all, sweet dreams, good night.
cheers,
Joshua