Re: Problem with sound devices under fedora

parta wrote:

Hi

Most of the times users at my place lock up the sound device with some
multimedia application and then complain about the sound device problem
while using software like skype.
Is gstreamer the answer? If yes which fedora core? We are using FC4 at
the moment.
Can we make ekiga to work as a client to skype's services.

Alsa (the kernel sound stack) is supposed to fix the device locking problem. Legacy applications that use the old locking oss interface can be neutralized with the 'aoss' utility (in FC-6, alsa-oss package). Note that the linux beta of Skype doesn't have this problem.