mirrorlists hosed

Finally got FC6 x86_64 downloaded and installed, but can't get to any updates or
extras because I get lots of errors attempting to access the mirrorlist. For example
if I plug the mirrorlist url from the core repo into firefox and substitute the right
version and arch info, I get stuff like this:

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=core-6&arch=x86_64

# repo = core-6 country = US arch = x86_64
# No results found for country: US
# Defaulting to global
# No results found for country: US
<!--: spam

followed by lots of html encoded python errors...

Sigh...