VMware server cannot run on FC6

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 26 11:01:47 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:

> Yes, I did install i686 kernels, and I am looking to the /boot
> directory from a FC4 partition that I have on the same computer. I
> have mounted the FC6 partition with the command:
>
> mount -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/fc6
>
> Any ideas?

Yes: /boot is a separate partition all unto itself by default.  You need
to mount that too, otherwise you are just looking at the empty
mountpoint directory.  It will need something like this in your case

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/fc6/boot

In case it is needed, here is an example /boot/grub/grub.conf from my box

default=0
timeout=1
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro quiet root=LABEL=/
pci=assign-busses
         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

-Andy