Xen is hot!

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 17:11:30 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Does the hypervisor keep things jumping around or
>> something? (I have no guests installed yet).
>
> On the other hand, maybe it is just that
> beagle-build-index process running in the

The xen kernel and hypervisor don't understand power management.  If you
think about it, it's a much more complex problem.  This means while with
the bare kernel you might see the CPU frequency scaled down (on my
machine from 2.9GHz to 1.6Ghz) this never happens with the Xen kernel.
Hence more heat.