fc6 screen resolution

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Thu Oct 26 23:08:54 UTC 2006

Tom Weston wrote:
> I have just installed FC6 on an Acer 2480 notebook. The one thing I
> can't do is set the screen resolution to the native 1280x800. In
> system-config-display I set the monitor to the generic LCD 1280x800 -
> that takes fire. But under the settings tab, I can't get the 1280x800 to
> stick - it always reverts to 1024x768. Any suggestions?

I'm on FC5 here, but it could be something to do with HorizSync and
VertRefresh settings in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. The ranges may be
set to narrow for your monitor, you could try increasing them, or
removing the entries entirely and try and let the driver use DDC.

Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it usually lists all the screenmodes
  and the reasons why any particular mode subsequently becomes
unavailable. Usually X will default to the next listed screenmode if the
one chosen is not suitable for whatever reason such as being out of range.

--
Ian Chapman.