Re: Memory staying in cached status -- Possible Memory Leak

Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On reboot, [Mem: free] and [-/+ buffers/cache: free] will both be large.
> As apps claim memory, both will fall. As apps access files and more data
> becomes cached, [Mem: free] falls. If the apps don't do much disk I/O,
> then it wont reach near zero. If and when it reaches near zero, it will
> remain that way until reboot.

There is one other wrinkle...

Memory can be released for various reasons, in which case it does go
back into the "free" pile. For example, if a file is deleted, then
there's no point keeping its contents in cache. If a program exits, then
the memory it used can be reused.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | You will stop at nothing to reach your objective, but
aprilcottage.co.uk | only because your brakes are defective.