FC6 on External USB HD with MacBook

Pankaj Jain pjain001 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 06:15:05 UTC 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 1:10 AM, gary wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 23:41 -0400, Pankaj Jain wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I have been trying for the last two days to install FC6 on an
>> external USB HD used with my MacBook.  So far, booting off the DVD I
>> get a kernel panic unless I specify noapic.  To avoid the kernel
>> panic, I have tried the following commands.  They all get me to the
>> installation process but none recognize the USB HD.
>>
>> linux expert noapic
>> linux askmethod noapic
>> linux expert askmethod noapic
>>
>> I can see that usb-storage is not being loaded but I'm not sure why
>> and I always thought that 'askmethod' would force it.
>>
>> I read that another user had similar problems ( https://
>> www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-October/msg01358.html ).  He
>> kept trying his luck at not plugging in the usb cable that powers his
>> USB HD and that seemed to work for him but not for me.  He's also not
>> using a MacBook.  Anyone have any suggestions other than throwing out
>> the MacBook and getting another ThinkPad? :-)
>>
>   I've experimented with lots of operating systems, since fc2,
> trying to
> install to usb hd - with mixed results. If you can get an ide adapter
> you'll be able to install as a regular disk. ( perhaps borrow someones
> desktop ) Treat it as hd,0 and you're good to go.    -----gary

Gary,
Thanks for the suggestion.  My problem with doing it this way is that
drivers and such would be specific to the desktop or laptop I plug
this drive into.  Since it's a 2.5 USB HD that will be used with the
MacBook, I wanted to try getting all the Apple MacBook specific
hardware features operational, or at least, close to operational.

I guess once it's installed, I can try my luck at getting the USB
drive to boot on the MacBook and then reconfigure all the hardware
specific items ... sounds like a major disaster waiting to happen.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Pankaj