Broken GLX: how to fix it?

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 02:16:31 UTC 2006

I have been trying to enable compiz effects on my gnome desktop. It seems to
work for lots of people out of the box but it is not my case. When I enable
desktop effects, I'm getting the following messages:

compiz: /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.1: no version information available
(required by /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1)
compiz: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.1: undefined
symbol: _nv000037gl

I see the same messages when running glxgears or glxinfo. This is what
worries me.

Strangely, I can see in Xorg.0.log that GLX is found and loaded:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.1

I have installed nvidia-x11-drv from freshrpms (1.0-9626).

Any ideas? Thanks!