Adding another port to sendmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 31 01:55:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 18:44 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     How do I configure sendmail to listen (and use) another port, IN
> ADDITION to port 25?  Our outgoing mail server uses port 25 for internal
> stuff, and for our remote users using authentication, I'd like them to
> use port 2525 (specially since a few of them have port < 1024 blocked by
> their ISP.)  So I need to have sendmail be able to use both port 25 as
> well as 2525 (or whatever other port number, 2525 just seemed logical.)
----
No ISP's block ALL ports below 1024. They block commonly used/exploited
ports and prevent you from running your own servers...25, 80, 137, 138,
139, 445

check out this from /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 587
for
dnl # mail from MUAs that authenticate. Roaming users who can't reach
their
dnl # preferred sendmail daemon due to port 25 being blocked or
redirected find
dnl # this useful.
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 465,
but
dnl # starting immediately in TLS mode upon connecting. Port 25 or 587
followed
dnl # by STARTTLS is preferred, but roaming clients using Outlook
Express can't
dnl # do STARTTLS on ports other than 25. Mozilla Mail can ONLY use
STARTTLS
dnl # and doesn't support the deprecated smtps; Evolution <1.1.1 uses
smtps
dnl # when SSL is enabled-- STARTTLS support is available in version
1.1.1.
dnl #
dnl # For this to work your OpenSSL certificates must be configured.
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
dnl #

This is where you need to go.

Craig