System lockup problem with 7G of memory and PAE kernel - FC7

Cokey fdepercin at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 01:33:58 UTC 2007

I have an older dual processor server with 4 Gig of memory that has been
running FC5 since it was released.  I tried to upgraded to 7 Gig of
memory under FC5 but the system locked up in the init phase regardless
of what I did. I didn't chase the problem because I intended to upgrade
the OS.

Recently I did upgrade the OS to F 7 and tried the changing the memory
to 7 Gig again.  Using the standard i686 kernel, it boots and runs
correctly, but warns that only 4 Gig of memory will be used and that the
PAE kernel was necessary to use the full 7 Gig.

I installed the 2.6.22.4-65.fc7PAE kernel and the system boots
correctly, but stops at the init phase.  The system is not locked up as
it will respond to C-A-Del and reboot.  The output at the time of lock
up looks like this:

Switching to new root and running Init
Umounting old 	/dev
		/proc
		/sys
exec of init (/sbin/init) failed accessing a corrupted shared library
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0397 (repeated 5 times)

I ran the memory test on the system for 8 hours or so and it found  and
tested all 7 Gig.  Also I have booted this system with M$ Advanced
server and it finds/uses all 7 Gig so I don't think there's anything
wrong with the hardware.

Rebooting with the original i686 kernel works correctly.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Cokey

believed to be clean.