SELinux survey (was RE: Stupid F7 boot loop)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:49:12 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Andrew Kelly wrote:
>

>> At any rate, let's assume that SELinux is mature and ripe, that it
>> interferes with nothing and there are no more issues with updates and
>> whatnot. It's landed, and can be deployed without worry.
>> What exactly do I gain by doing it? What have I protected myself from?
>
> If you understand what SELinux is, the gain is immediately obvious. Here
> is a recent article
>
> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/04/whats-new-in-selinux-for-red-hat-enterprise-linux-5/

This article doesn't explain whether it follows standards or will always
be a single-supplier non-standard extension.  If you are using SELinux,
can you still transparently replace your local disks with network mounts
  where the systems hosting the disks are appliances or running some
other OS?  If you can't do that today, is the standard published to
permit it eventually?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com