Thuderbird as an Evolution replacement ? (Evolution things...)

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 01:55:49 UTC 2007

Kim Lux wrote:

> I installed Thunderbird on a friends Windows PC the other day and it
> looked pretty spiffy.  How does it compare to Evolution ?  Is it robust
> enough to handle really large email archives ?

I handle my mail via IMAP with some large e-mail archives (>10,000
messages in a folder), and Thunderbird is just fine. In my experience it
seems (as a user) to have one of the more robust IMAP implementations
compared to other clients.

However I also used (and still do, a bit) Sylpheed/Sylpheed Claws for a
long time. These are great mail clients which are fast, immensely
configurable, lighter than Thunderbird and very powerful. They feel a
bit more "power-user", meaning there are a huge number of options.
However they are still fairly straightforward to set up for simple uses.
  They are more awkward than Thunderbird to set up if you want multiple
sending addresses though (you have to set up an account for each, unless
it's recently changed). They are in Fedora Extras.

Tim